Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Road Trip

Day 28: Almost there! Followed the Poetic Asides prompt today, which was to write an end of the line poem. Here's one about not wanting to come to the end of the line...

Road Trip

Somewhere in Nevada,

Tumbleweeds racing along

Either side of us,

The desert wind robbing our breath,

No one ahead or behind for miles,

I turn to you with your sunscorched hair,

Sunglasses grazing your late afternoon stubble,

And say, “Let’s never stop.”

And you laugh and say,

“Ok.”

In Amish country, we counted carriages,

In Cincinnati, we sang our way

Up and down the dial.

In Kansas, we got homesick

For the jaggedness of NYC.

In New Mexico, we watched for UFOs.

And all along I enjoyed the ride.

But it is here in these great open spaces,

Sun set to broil,

Cacti reaching their prickly mitts

Toward each other,

Rushing toward the coast

Where you will leave and I will stay,

When I realize I don't want this trip to end.

One day many years from now,

I will be in a quiet room,

That you and I may or may not share,

And I will think of this moment.

I will not remember the nettles still stuck

In my shoe from our morning hike

Or the patch of sunburn on my right shoulder

Or even the Eagles song playing on the radio.

I will only remember

How I wished I could drive forever

On this road with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment