Tuesday, April 13, 2010

A poem starting with a line from Norman Dubie

Day 13: RWP wants us to use a line by the poet Norman Dubie to jumpstart a poem. I tried two:

The Persistence of Prayer (A poem starting with a line from Norman Dubie)

His chapel fell into flowers long ago

But prayers still hover above the ground

like mist, whispering to tree frogs and dandelions

and searching for masters

who now kneel on higher ground.


Once (A poem starting with a line from Norman Dubie)

My favorite pastime has become the imaginary destruction of flowers.
I dream of eating them petal by petal, like artichokes with butter,
letting the softness linger in my throat like a lozenge,
before swallowing.
Once
I consumed him the same way
but his kisses are too distant now for fantasy,
their memory dissipates like a reflection in disturbed water.
The roses always come back though, no matter what mistakes I make,
opening themselves to me like he never would.


5 comments:

  1. These are both beautiful. I'll be back to read more. I really like your voice. Thanks for visiting my site.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the juxtapositions in the first poem with a natural mysticism with tree frogs and dandelions. I also love how you savored love eating petals like an artichoke and then feel the memory dissipate in disturbed water.

    Great images!

    ~Mark

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are both great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really enjoyed these! I liked the idea of prayers hovering above the ground especially....

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is cool seeing what other people do with the same line from today's prompt. I think we both got the same feeling from it, but with different results.

    I love your like artichokes with butter line!

    ReplyDelete