Saturday, April 10, 2010

Celebration Lovers Anonymous

Day 10: RWP suggested writing about a celebration...

Celebration Lovers Anonymous

Hello my name is Julie

And I’m a celebration-aholic.

Maybe it started with my first sip

Of champagne on New Year’s Eve.

At age 7, I drank the glass down all at once

the way I’d seen them do in movies,

My parents were horrified.

Then there was the candle

Atop my first birthday cake,

What’s more addictive than the promise

Of a granted wish.

The completion of an AP History exam

Meant pepperoni pizza, a rare treat indeed

For a vegetarian.

At my first job, we stood on our desks

And sang along with the radio after deadlines,

Our boss already out the door.

By the time I saw the big balloons on Thanksgiving,

I was totally hooked.

Marching bands, floats, red-nosed clowns,

I got high on them all.

My friends tried an intervention at the Millennium,

But I went to Times Square anyway,

Letting confetti cover me like snowflakes

As the ball dropped.

I’ll be honest, I don’t want to get help.

No, I plan to party until the end,

To go out in a burst of fireworks

or a pile-up of ticker-tape,

Laughing myself into the next life.

No comments:

Post a Comment