Sunday, April 11, 2010

The Concert

Day 11: RWP prompt is to write about a choice you didn't make. Started out writing free verse but the rhymes kind of took over...

The Concert

I know you don’t remember asking,

You may not remember me,

But I wish I’d gone to that concert with you,

I wish I had that memory.

Nothing would be different,

At least nothing plain to the eye,

We would not have gotten married,

We would still have said goodbye.

You had a girlfriend after all,

Though we saw each other every day.

Nothing was better than making you laugh,

But I could never say

All the things I wanted to,

It simply wasn’t right.

Still I wish we’d shared good music

Together, if only for one night.

4 comments:

  1. Good job...yes, nothing to the eye would be different, but your memories would be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thoughtful; yes, sometimes choosing a different choice with someone may indeed have not changed things. Made me think of a similar situation with a gf I was slowly breaking up with - she had won a timeshare on the Cote d'Azure, but THAT week if I had gone with her it would have been devastating to my financial security and future - but we were growing frustated anyway, and that was the nail in the coffin... I might still write about that today, though. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's a fun understatement you've made, that nothing would have been different. Or would it? Either way, nicely written and heartwarming.

    ReplyDelete